G4S operates 27 for-profit juvenile detention facilities in the US. This includes one facility in Arkansas, one in Tennessee, one in Texas, and 23 facilities in Florida. Many of these G4S detention centers have come under serious scrutiny.
- In Avon Park, Florida, a grand jury issued a report calling the G4S-operated Highlands Youth Academy a “disgrace,” and urging officials to permanently shut down the facility.
- In Stuart, Florida, two employees working for Martin Girls Academy are suing the G4S to be reinstated after being fired in retaliation for reporting inappropriate sexual behavior between a supervisor and a resident minor at the facility.
- An ABC News report raises serious questions as to whether G4S conducts adequate background checks on employees hired at youth detention facilities.
- At a residential facility that G4S operates in Okeechobee, a staff member was charged with sexual battery after paying a 17 year-old victim for sex.
- A G4S Youth Specialist at the Palmetto Youth Academy in Florida was arrested for sexually assaulting two boys.
- A G4S employee at the Palmetto Youth Academy faces felony charges for distributing obscene material to a minor.
- An independent investigation of the G4S juvenile facility in Arkansas, raises serious concerns regarding increased assaults at the facility, verbal and physical abuse by staff. According to the investigation, a former G4S employee who was fired for assaulting a resident was rehired and then fired again for assaulting another youth.
Given this record, ColorOfChange.org, the nations’ largest online civil rights organization has called on the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice to stop contracting with G4S and other for-profit prison contractors. ColorOfChange.org specifically urged the state of Florida not to renew contracts with G4S that were valued at $120 million.
Below are some of the news reports on G4S juvenile detention facilities in the US.
SOURCE: GUARDIAN A grand jury report accuses G4S of running a “disgraceful” juvenile detention center in Florida. The Highland s Youth Academy in Avon Park, a facility for young men aged 16 to 19 that was the site of a riot involving more than 130 children two years ago, was described as “a disgrace to […]
SOURCE: ABC NEWS I-TEAM An investigative report found that G4S has hired employees who have been accused of sex crimes, despite their troubling pasts. A G4S Youth Specialist employed at the Palmetto Youth Academy was arrested for sexually assaulting two boys, a 15 year-old and 17 year-old, while working at the facility. Court records show […]
SOURCE: COLORofCHANGE ColorOfChange, one of the nations’ largest civil rights organization has called on the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice (FDJJ) to stop contracting with G4S and other for-profit prison contractors. ColorOfChange specifically urged the Secretary of FDJJ to not renew any contracts with G4S that, together are valued at $120 million. According the the […]
SOURCE: TCPALM Two former security guards at Martin Girls Academy are suing to get their jobs back and say they were fired in retaliation for reporting suspicions that a co-worker was having an illegal sexual relationship with an detainee who is a minor. In another report, the State of Florida is investigating a youth assault […]
SOURCE: DRC INTERIM REPORT The Disability Rights Center (DRC) of Arkansas issued an interim report on the G4S-operated Arkansas Juvenile Assessment and Training Center. The report raises serious concerns regarding a rise in assaults at the facility, verbal and physical abuse by staff, limiting youths’ access to family and attorney phone calls, and discrepancies in […]
SOURCE: THE FLORIDA TIMES-UNION Lawsuits against Hastings Youth Academy, a 165-bed facility for troubled teens in St. Johns County, accuse staff members of repeatedly using excessive force and conspiring to cover it up. G4S Youth Services, which contracts with the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice to run the boys program, is accused in one of […]